When it comes to home improvement, I’m fairly comfortable tackling most projects even if it is something I haven’t attempted before. I recently decided that it was time to install crown moulding in my daughter’s room. I hit the web and started doing a little reading. After reading a half dozen articles, I was fairly certain I could knock this project out pretty easily. I purchased the additional tools I needed for the project and started cutting. When it came time to install the moulding, I noticed a distinct problem. None of it fit correctly. Frustrated, I put everything away and put the project on hold until I had more time to figure out what had gone wrong.
At work the following week, I mentioned the pending project to a few co-workers and was met with some advice on how to properly install the moulding. At this point I discovered that I had been attempting to install the moulding using an inferior method.
Given the difficulty I was having using the old method I immediately found a way to switch to the new method and make it work and I finished out the project with incredible results.
Being the always analytical person that I am, I walked away from that project with a few things learned and a nagging question that I’ll address in a future post.